Torn between driving to downtown Atlanta to fight the crowd to watch a big peach drop or sitting at home and watching Ryan Seacrest try to carry on Dick Clark's legacy on New Year's Rocking Eve to ring in the 2013?
There are other alternatives much closer to home. Local churches and establishments have events planned. Some neighboring towns will also have drops to help send out 2012 in style.
Here is a sampling of some of what is scheduled:
• Gold Nugget Drop, Villa Rica: Downtown Villa Rica is busy preparing for the 2nd annual Gold Nugget Drop on New Year’s Eve. Kicking off at 10 p.m., the Gold Nugget Drop will take place at the Mill amphitheater and Thomas A. Dorsey stage on Temple Street. It is free except for items that will be on sale such as $10 commemorative t-shirts and 2013 novelty items. For entertainment, there will be fireworks and “country-fried soul” blasting all night courtesy of Atlanta-based band Sol Junky. Last year was the first time Villa Rica hosted its own themed new year’s party. Bill and Ann Cockerill of Red Cockerill Gallery built the actual nugget, which stands seven feet tall. It will drop from a 32-foot-tall head frame when the clock strikes 2013.
• Possum Drop, Tallapoosa: The City of Tallapoosa is the official location for the “Possum Drop” New Year’s Eve extravaganza. Thousands of people from the west Georgia area and from all over the United States have attended this annual event over the years and have enjoyed the crowning of the Possum Drop King and Queen, the great food, the wonderful bands and entertainment, and, of course, the midnight dropping of “Spencer,” the locally famous possum. The main entertainment for the night is Eric Schneider with his “Tribute to Elvis.” Organizers have also lined up Cotton Road and White Winged Dove. Event-goers can also expect to see fireworks. A Possum Drop King and Queen will be crowned.
• Woody Fite Senior Center: A New Year's Eve Ball drop is set at the Woodie Fite Senior Center. There is a $20 charge and the doors open at 6:30 p.m. .Dinner is served at 7 p.m. and a dance begins at 8 p.m. A dessert bar will be available after dinner. Party favors will be free and there will be champagne for the midnight toast. Tickets are limited and must be shown at the door. Woodie Fite Center is at 8750 Dorris Road in Douglasville.
• Christ Apostolic Life Church: Christ Apostolic Life Church in Douglasville will hold a New Year Celebration/ Watch Night Service. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. Enjoy an evening of songs with choirs, praise groups, duets, musical selections, as well as high energy choreographed dances to highlight the evening. Pastor Steven L. Robinson and First Lady Cassandra A. Robinson look forward to having you join us during this special time of celebration. The church is located at 8510 Newman Street in Douglasville.
• Irish Bred Pub: Entrance fee is $5. Celebrations at the pub include the Russell Barron Band and a DJ all night. Free hats, horns and party favors will be handed out. Food and drink specials will be available all night. Free champagne toast for everyone at midnight. 8:30 p.m. to 2 a.m.
• Highlanders Tavern and Grill: Sing in the New Year with Karaoke at Highlanders. A $5 cover will get you into the celebration that begins at 8 p.m. and runs until they shut it all down around 2 a.m. Highlanders is located at 7436 Douglas Boulevard in Douglasville. For info, call 770-949-6900.
• Topp's Bar & Grill: No entrance fee. Prime Rib dinner is on the menu and it's going to be a huge party. There will be a balloon drop and karaoke. Free champagne toast for everyone at midnight. Hats as well as party favors for everyone and a balloon and confetti drop are planned. Event runs from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. Topps is at 7214 Douglas Boulevard in Douglasville.
• Taco Mac: Costume contest will kick off the fun and there is a $5 cover. Each hour, starting at 9 p.m., dress up in your favorite outfit of the decade, beginning with the 70s and going through the 90s, up to today. Cash prizes go to the winners. Free champagne will be offered at midnight and drink specials will be available all night long. The event runs from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Taco Mac is at 7397 Douglas Boulevard in Douglasville.
• Fabiano's Italian Deli: Party hats and favors will start the fun and $3 shooters will keep it going. The traditional $2 Past Blue Ribbon price is standard. At midnight, guests will welcome in the new year with a free glass of champagne. There is no cover and the event runs from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Fabiano's is located at 6698 West Broad Street is Douglasville.
• Bonz Sports Bar: The band Cosmic Gypsy will entertain party goers and a DJ will also be on hand. Party hats and favors will be free, as well as a champagne toast at midnight. There is a $10 cover and the event runs from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Bonz is at 2123 Fairburn Road in Douglasville.